Sunday, February 14, 2010

Resurrecting NCharlie

We delivered some software at my day job last week that has been keeping me pretty busy for the past few weeks.  To celebrate, I am revving up the NCharlie project again to buzz out some things I picked up in Austin last month.

I’ve already spent some time integrating StructureMap, Automapper, and Fluent NHibernate into a task manager Webforms application that uses the patterns I learned last month in bootcamp.  Here’s what I’ve got so far:

NCharlie-TaskBoard

We’ve been using a “task board” like this at work to move our development tasks through to deployment.

I know, the CSS needs some work… but the thing is working!  Here’s what I’ve done so far:

  1. Started a new blank solution for NCharlie in Visual Studio 2008.
  2. Added .Net 3.5 projects for the Core NCharlie project, a Webforms UI project, an MVC UI project (using ASP.Net MVC 2 RC 2), Integration and Unit Test projects.
  3. I put the blank NCharlie starter project (no entities, tests, views… just the architecture) into a branch tagged ncharlie-starter.

As of tonight, the version in the trunk of the NCharlie repository matches the starter project.  My plan is to build it up using a branch per feature, and blog about it as I go.  I plan to mirror the functionality using Webforms and the MVC framework.  I think it will be a good way for me to cut my teeth on MVC, plus it will be interesting to compare the two when it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment