Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bootcamp 2010

I will be attending a 3 day bootcamp on ASP.Net MVC in Austin next week, taught by Jimmy Bogard.

It has been almost a year since I took Headspring's Agile .Net Bootcamp (March 2009, taught by Matt Hinze). We are still using web forms where I work, but we have adopted many of the tools/patterns/practices I learned about last year (Unit testing, using an ORM, SOLID principles). My prioritized notes from bootcamp 2009 of "what to implement back at work" are here on my desk... I refer back to them often.

This year, I'm looking forward to Jimmy's presentation on how he uses the MVC framework... we will most likely adopt MVC later this year. But I'm also hoping to come back a little stronger, or at least with more information awareness, in some areas I know I'm weak in. These are not necessarily listed in the course description, but from what I've seen in the Headspring blogosphere and CodeCampServer, these are integral parts of their projects:

- Inversion of Control (IOC)
- Unit of Work pattern and how it works with a web request
- Basic usage of AutoMapper?
- Better design in general (I still build pretty heavy controllers)

And, of course I'm looking forward to seeing Austin again and having a slice of Bevo for dinner one night!

No comments:

Post a Comment